- Basics of Chemical Thermodynamics
- Preface and Acknowledgement
- Contents and Chapter outline
- 1. Thermodynamics: some key notions and terms
- 2. The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics: the concept of temperature
- 3. The First Law of Thermodynamics: the concept of internal energy
- 4. The Second Law of Thermodynamics: the concept of entropy
- 5. The Third Law of Thermodynamics
- 6. Closed systems: spontaneity and equilibrium criteria
- 7. Multi-component open systems: the chemical potential
- 8. Phase equilibrium I
- 9. Phase equilibrium II: solutions
- 10. Enthalpy, entropy and Gibbs energy changes in chemical reactions
- 11. Chemical equilibrium I
- 12. Chemical equilibrium II: acid-base equilibria
- 13. Electrochemistry
- Units and Notations
- Mathematical appendix
- Index Page
- NATIONAL INITIATIVE ON UNDERGRADUATE SCIENCE (NIUS) CHEMISTRY PROGRAMME
The PDF preview shall be available here.
About the authors
A Ph.D. in Physics (1969), was on the faculty of the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) until his retirement in 2008. In his long teaching and research career, his primary academic interests have been theoretical physics and physics education.
A Ph.D. in Science Education(1995), is a faculty member at the same institution. Her primary academic interest for nearly three decades has been chemistry education at secondary, higher secondary and tertiary stages. Her research interests are learning in chemistry laboratory and conceptual pitfalls in chemistry. She also supervises undergraduate research projects in chemistry. She heads the chemistry cell of the Centre that oversees India’s participation in International Chemistry Olympiad.