NIUS Teacher Development workshop on Thermal and Statistical Physics 2019
10 – 13 December 2019
Introduction: Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE) is a National Centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai. The broad goals of the centre are to promote equity and excellence in science and mathematics education from primary school to undergraduate college level. The National Initiative on Undergraduate Science (NIUS) is a major programme of HBCSE aimed at enhancing the quality of undergraduate science education in India.
Workshop:We announce a NIUS Teacher Development workshop on Thermal Physics and Statistical Mechanics for teachers of physics at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. The workshop will focus on the teaching and learning of various topics in thermal physics at the undergraduate and postgraduate level. The main focus will be on common misconceptions, difficulties in understanding, subtle points and problem solving. Topics covered will include:
- First and Second Laws of thermodynamics
- Partition function, Boltzmann and Quantum Statistics
- Some applications of Quantum Statistics
Camp Structure: The format of the workshop will be lecture sessions interspersed with demonstration sessions and computer based activities. Eminent scientists/speakers will interact with participants.
Travel and Accommodation:
Participants will be reimbursed to and fro travel fare as per their entitlement (maximum II-AC). Food and accommodation in the HBCSE Guest House will be provided for all participants.
Who can apply?
This workshop is for TEACHERS at the UNDERGRADUATE and POSTGRADUATE LEVEL only. College teachers in active service are encouraged to apply. Students and high school teachers need not apply.
Prerequisites for participation are basic textbook knowledge of the topics and reasonable fluency in high school level algebra, geometry and calculus.
How to Apply?
- Click here to fill the online application form.
- Last date of application:14 October 2019.
- Intimation regarding selection will be put on the HBCSE website by 23 October 2019. (Click here to view the list of selected teachers)
- Selected teachers will also be invited through an official letter sent over email.